Inside out

Random musings in and outside the news

3 dead in Fort Bonifacio shooting

Posted by Abi Kwok on February 26, 2009

Wounded captain dies in hospital

By Katherine Evangelista, Abigail Kwok
INQUIRER.net

MANILA, Philippines — (UPDATE 3) The toll of the shooting rampage by a soldier in a barracks at Fort Bonifacio in Taguig City Wednesday night rose to three after a wounded officer died in the hospital late Thursday morning.

Army spokesman Lieutenant Colonel Romeo Brawner Jr. said Captain Dionicio Aragon Jr., executive officer of the 12th Special Forces Company, died in the intensive care unit of the Makati Medical Center at around 11:30 a.m. Thursday.

The gunman, Sergeant Elias Tial, was on duty when he went to the third floor of Barracks 3, at the Transient Quarters of the Special Forces unit, where his superiors were meeting at around 10 p.m., and opened fire with an M16 rifle, Brawner and Senior Superintendent Camilo Cascolan, Taguig police chief, said.

First Lieutenant Gerald Fuentes and Master Sergeant Eliseo dela Cruz were killed immediately while Aragon and Captain Benito Ramos Jr. were seriously wounded.

The victims were first rushed to the Fort Bonifacio General Hospital and then transferred to the Makati Medical Center, Brawner said.

Brawner said before the shooting, the suspect asked permission to attend the funeral of his father, who died Sunday, and was allowed by his commanding officer to file a leave.

Quoting witnesses, Brawner said Tial shouted, “Hindi kayo marunong magpauwi ng sundalong nangangailangan [You do not know how to let an officer in need go home],” before firing at the officers.

“Siguro nagipon-ipon lang ‘yung sama ng loob niya [Maybe he just could not contain his ill feelings],” Brawner said.

Last month, Tial was also allowed to go to Iloilo to attend the funeral of his uncle, Brawner said.

The suspect escaped after the incident but police were able to retrieve the M16 rifle used in the shooting, Cascolan said.

Cascolan said they would be assisting the Army in its investigation into the incident.

“The Philippine Army has launched manhunt operations to capture the said soldier,” Brawner said.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

 
%d bloggers like this: